April 6, 2009

Oprah Show & Peeing in the Kitchen Sink

Just caught the Oprah show. Not something I watch much because I am busy with my kids. But since I had a baby last Wednesday I am hunkered down in my room, especially since Eliza has Jaundice and is on photo therapy, we are plugged in all day. So today I had the special treat of watching Oprah. It was based off of mom secrets and the things that make motherhood difficult. Some of it was funny, but some of it was just plain sad. One woman said she bathed her kids in the jacuzzi, another mother said that she didn't give her kids a bath for like three weeks. I admit I have had my crazy days, like the time I had to pee in the kitchen sink because the bathroom doors were locked to keep Harrington out of them and I couldn't find the key. I was pregnant with Odelia and it was the sink or my pants. I would've gone in the backyard, but we didn't have a fence and it was daytime. Not my finest moment, but even that day I was able to pull it together fid the keys, make dinner and give Harrington a bath.
I for one love motherhood and being a homemaker. Their are days I want to take a nap and I get cranky. I yell more than I should and I could probably do more activities with my kids. But I think that their is nothing wrong with "putting your apron on" so to speak. Ten or twelve years ago I heard Tamara Zinn give a talk in sacrament meeting about women needing to embrace motherhood and being domestic. I have always wanted to be the best homemaker I could, largely in part to learning from my mother and other women like Tamara. I am not ashamed to say that I love making bread, cleaning my home, making do with what I have, growing a garden, canning, and reading to my kids. I may not have time to go to the gym, get my hair done or have weekly nights out with the girls. But what I do have time for is to take care of my kids, my home and support my husband. I take pride in nourishing my family and taking care of their physical and spiritual needs. No one forces me to do these things, I do them because I want to. And if their is time left over I will spend time with friends, or maybe even wax my eyebrows (which I do myself in the bathroom). So to any mom who reads this and just enjoys being a mom, here is to you! Perfection isn't necessary, their may be days when you pee in the sink, or your kids eat ice cream for dinner. Just love your kids and do the best you can. I'd love your pee in the sink stores in my comments section, so share away. Some days all you need is a good laugh.

1 comment:

Christi said...

I sadly have to admit to peeing in the sink also. I was pregnant with Alli and we only had one bathroom and Patrick was in there for ever! So I resorted to the kitchen sink. I am relieved to know that I am not the only one.