December 20, 2008

Ready for Christmas

Are we really ever ready for anything? Probably not. I think sometimes we get all caught up in the hustle and bustle of it all we forget why we celebrate this time of year. I have always thought of myself as someone not tied up in materialistic things and that I enjoy the season more than I plan for it. The last few weeks I have been sick with a cold, and have been grumpy and sleep deprived. I have been yelling more than usual and the other night I went shopping and was so tired I didn't even enjoy it. And for those of you who know me well, that is not typical. Usually I enjoy retail therapy, I crave it. Anyways, on Thursday night I went to Relief Society and the Stake President shared a story of a Christmas past when he had a son die a few weeks before Christmas. It made me want to go home right then and hug my babies. So tonight as tired as I was from being at home with the kids all day, making and cleaning up dinner; (Without the help of Zeb, this is his busy time of year at work.) I snuggled in bed with Harrington and Odelia and read them a book. Usually book reading is Zeb's thing, it gives me time to myself to unwind. But he wasn't home yet and I know they needed that time with me. I am so looking forward to tomorrow, to play with my kids, do some crafts and maybe even let them cook in my kitchen. Am I ready for Christmas, probably not. But my kids are ready to just have mom to themselves. I might even sneak a room cleaning project in to get them ready for what they are getting for Christmas. Harrington loves to organize, as long as I am calm and let him help. He's even slightly neurotic at times, definitely my kid. So to anyone who is reading this who feels like they have so much to do, just stop it... stop it right now. And realize that no child cares if all the projects are done, if the house is spotless or if your postman got the collage you made him. Have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy the tender moments you share with those you love.

No comments: